Sunday, March 4, 2007

Old man winter

We've had some really crappy weather lately, although I guess it would all depend upon your perspective. Let's say, instead, that we've had our weekly dose of winter. Last Thursday they actually shut down our school, naturally only an hour after I had arrived...but we still got paid for the day, so that's always a plus. When the weather acts up to that degree, I usually forgo driving and let the bus do all the heavy lifting precisely so that I can avoid ending my life prematurely in a frozen ditch. But even the bus was skidding and sliding around like Brian Boitano, only less gracefully and to a much lesser degree of skill. Visibility was way down as well, maybe ten feet between the sheets of snow. So there were a few dodgy moments there, and admittedly I was not able to nap as peacefully as I would have liked to, which is another perk of the bus. Besides, with this alleged refinery fire taking all the gas off of the market, the less driving we can do the better. Station after station is closed and sealed off in an ever-increasing radius, and it's a little unnerving. Deserted gas stations make me feel all post-apocalyptic, I'm just waiting for the dune buggies loaded with leather bondage fetishists to come storming over the horizon because they want my gas and/or water. Bring it on, I say. I'm prepared for the gas wars. Car tires make decent armour (proof against blunt trauma and low-calibre rounds, you know), and I can jury-rig some spears and rudimentary firearms, although I suspect it will ultimately come down to a question of decent melee weapons.

No comments: