Sunday, May 13, 2007

An object lesson in assumptions...

The other day at work I innocently assumed that we were keeping the exact same hours as we had during exam week. Now, had it occurred to me to actually check and verify the schedule, this would not have been such an issue. However, my assumptions were incorrect. We had in fact gone back to normal banker's hours, so to speak. Any change of this sort affects me a great deal as I close up in the evenings or afternoons, as the case may be. My contractual stipulations dictate a very tight leash on those hours, so when I come in and when I leave is more or less predetermined, I'm not getting any more than I am for showing up early. And this is indeed what my assumptions led me to do. I showed up two hours early to a lot of blank stares and puzzled looks. It was like one of those dreams where you show up to work or class naked. All the furrowed brows immediately tipped off my razor sharp mind that something (ominous music cue) was amiss!!! So yes folks, what your mother told you about assumptions is true. I felt like more than enough of an ass for you and me combined, especially since it was not that hard to check. Hmm, come to think of it, I should do so again this morning just to be sure...much as I love napping in the lounge, I'd probably be better served doing some more or less productive things, such as making blog entries. I think enough of interest does go on every day that I could have some thoughts on a daily basis. It's just a question of mustering up the will and the motivation. If nothing else, it will pass the time adequately, not that I don't have enough to handily occupy myself with for months, notwithstanding human contact at all. One of the worst developments of recent times is television on DVD. Now I can view an entire season of whatever comes to mind as an unbroken, seamless narrative. In most cases, that's a LOT of TV. But I feel compelled to go on for some reason...

No comments: