Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Quality glasses in about one hou...um, ten days...fine, two weeks

Some time ago I ordered new glasses from that magical purveyor of "quality glasses...in about an hour." Apparently, that guarantee doesn't apply to the legally blind and the coke bottle kids amongst us, as my prescription proved to be a bit much to handle. Now, more than two weeks later, they finally came in from whatever classified top secret optics lab they were forged in. Don't get me wrong, they're perfectly wonderful glasses. They do exactly what they were designed to do; that is, enhance my vision. So in that regard, a remarkably bravura performance all around, and I commend them for it. It's just a little amusing that they took so long. I could have just as easily cloned a new set of vat grown eyes from my private stock of stem cells in the same amount of time. I just have to wonder what they were doing. I mean, they're perfectly competent spectacles, but it's not as if the lenses are carved out of pure Swarovski crystal with a twenty four karat gold-filigreed frame of refined mithril, after all. They don't even have any special powers or extra features. I can't see in any other bands of the visible spectrum, and alas...I cannot peer through the well of time. I can simply see, and that's good enough for me.

No comments: