Sunday, February 25, 2007

Underneath the baobab tree

One summer my inner humanitarian led me to help my parents cook at a health camp in Pennsylvania (in the vicinity of Philadelphia) for a couple of weeks. It was an interesting road trip, and I got to visit some places that I'd been meaning to for a while (I promised the inner historian in me, you see). They took day trips with the campers on the weekends, and one of them was to Longwood Gardens,one of the premier botanical gardens in the United States. The grounds were absolutely beautiful, with all sorts of exotic and interesting plants both indoors in these great neoclassical buildings and outside, such as this one. This funny little tree's canopy is so thick it's like night inside, although it's high noon outside. It also took some doing to get in here, let me tell you. I didn't quite catch the species on the sign, but until someone tells me otherwise I'm calling it a baobab tree. It's just my prerogative.

No comments: